Tuesday, February 16, 2010

19 Minutes --> bang, bang, you're dead

 I'm a book junkie. I read read read all the time. Pretty sure I spent all of last weekend reading all the books that weren't for school. Because I'm supposed to be reading "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"...don't worry.  I didn't.  What I did spend most of my time reading this weekend is a book that was recommended to me by both Jaime and Jocelyn.  It's by one of my favorite authors, Jodi Picoult (she wrote My Sister's Keeper which is now a movie starring Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin (spell?)).  It's called Nineteen Minutes and is about the effects of a school shooting.  Based mainly on Josie Cormier, her mother who is a judge, and Peter Houghton (the bullied nerd turned killer), this tear-jerking, incredible novel had me hooked from page one.  It's an amazing story, and I recommend it to you all. If you want a good read, find this book somewhere, because you will absolutely LOVE IT! I think one of the reasons I loved it so much is because it connected me to a play I was in my senior year of high school called "Bang, Bang, You're Dead".  This play is also about the effects of a school shooting, focusing on the central character, Josh, and mainly playing off of his regret in prison as the 5 students he killed come back to ask him why they were the ones he decided to kill and his memories of his parents remind him of why he killed them too. It's a moving, thought provoking, extremely sad play that has forever united the small cast from East High who put this incredible show on. I am so glad I've never had to experience anything as traumatizing as a school shooting - but these works moved me.  They are incredible. So I recommend reading the book.  I wish I had a recording of "Bang, Bang, You're Dead" to watch, since maybe watching it, and being in it, are two different experiences.  But anyway, read the book.  It's very good.

I'm also trying to decide - should I cut my hair shorter? Or what should I do different to my hair? I want a change.... I need your opinion. Lettt me know what you think!  Plus give suggestions for styles please! I'm open to anything!

2 comments:

  1. girl. don't cut it. you will forever miss your long hair!!! And i say that from experience haha but i wanna read this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can borrow my copy! And yeah, I don't think I'll cut it....probably just do something different even though I haven't quite decided what yet!

    ReplyDelete